Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Eating enough protein?





I have forgot how hard it was for me to wrap my head around eating enough. Since we started this on Monday - this is a very common thing for people. Along with that is getting enough protein has always been a big challenge for me, dont get me wrong I love a good steak but as I get older I find myself struggling with meat I cant ever see myself giving meat but just sayin. Some of my solutions that have come from this are:

Proflex protein powder which is a staple in our house - with kids heading out the door and hubby rushing to work cereal is just not enough. I know by all of us drinking a shake we are getting 20 grams of protein to start our day.

I trick I learned from a friend is to have a dozen boiled eggs on hand, they may a great snack and my family loves deviled eggs and if they are in the fridge already boiled we can even add them to an evening BBQ. The only problem with eggs is hubby is working to get his cholesterol down naturally and the cholesterol is really high in eggs and the protein for 1 egg is less than 7g.

Beans
- yep the musical fruit :-) See my bean salad recipe it packs a punch in the protein department, makes a great side with a sandwich for lunch.

Salmon and Tuna
at lunch always works :-)

Kashi cereal - you can find it at the grocery store most of them have 7-9g of protein and are a great source of fiber.

Quinoa can serve as a high-protein breakfast food mixed with honey, almonds, or berries; it is also sold as a dry product, much like corn flakes.
Quinoa ( pronounced KEEN WA ) Maybe germinated in its raw form to boost its nutritional value. Germination activates its natural enzymes and multiplies its vitamin content. Only 2–4 hours resting in a glass of clean water is enough to make it sprout. This process, besides its nutritional enhancements, softens the grains, making them suitable to be added to salads and other cold foods. 14g or protein in 100g - in the grocery store you will find it in the organic section or maybe the rice. Will share a salad later.

Edamame Last but certainly not least. Found in the freezer section at the grocery store can be shelled or not. The shelled is perfect for salad and the shelled makes a great snack. Shelled just boil in salted water, drain, sprinkle with salt and serve - they are eaten just like you use to eat peas in the garden as a kid. 12g of protein in 3.5oz

No comments:

Post a Comment