Tuesday, July 25, 2006

making new friends.......

Almost 6 years ago when we started our journey to the USA from Canada, many asked if we had family or friends in Wyoming. We did not know a single person. Because my husband did not work locally, I knew it was up to me to make a few friends. I joined a group called MOPS, from this I met my dearest friend and now business partner Pam( more wonderful times to come).

Last week around a table with my investment club (more about this crew later and maybe even a stock tip or 2...) I had the pleasure of meeting the lady who started MOPS in Denver 35ish years ago. I raised my glass to a toast to MOPS beginnings, you see for me a great number of things got started because of MOPS:
  1. 7 of the 9 in our investment club came out of MOPS ( one was in the original group)
  2. I was the general coordinator of a huge playground project (even learned what a boom auger is)
  3. fell in love with helping non profit oganisations and volunteering
  4. learned that one person can make a difference
  5. I got over the fear of speaking in public
  6. Most importantly I have made some friendship that will last a life time.

Now the place you start is not the place you necessarily end up. I have expanded my circle of friends not only in Wyoming but now with my new business. One of the added bonuses to my new business is I have made friends all over the US and Canada, UK and Ireland, NewZealand and Australia. While any business just has customers, I have the privilege of helping other moms build a business that allows them to stay home and raise their kids.

By introducing people to the products I have helped families with allergies, heart disease, arthritis, execma to name a few. I have showed hundreds how to save money by switching stores, I have showed them how to be a friend of the environment, and I help fundraise for currently 7 organization.

So my MOPS journey continues; I am a friend, a mentor, and educator, a business owner and best of all I get to be a full time MOM.

It's choice - not chance - that determines your destiny.
Jean Nidetch

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:03 AM

    While I am glad that you are making lots of friends down south, just know that the old Red Deer crew misses you. Well truth be told there isn't much left of that crew, it seems that some didn't turn out to be who we thought they were! Anyway I look fwd to reading daily, cheers! MF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be time for a road trip south??? We have lots of room and would love to see you. Hope all is well. Any baking going on?C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:51 AM

    Baking...lol...now and then I do some baking...but not as much as i used too! We would love to come south but we just purchased a new home, so we are now in a time of fiscal restraint. I heard from Dave yesterday, he might be through Edmonton in the next couple of weeks, so hopefully we will get to see him.

    Bake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news on the house, I was actually wondering when the stork kind of baking?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:05 PM

    WHY DO FRIENDS AND FAMILY HAVE TO LIVE SO FAR AWAY???? AT LEAST THE ONES WE LOVE...ALL OTHERS ARE TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT!!! WISH YOU WERE HERE OR I WAS THERE. GW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:12 PM

    Oh THAT kind of baking...ha ha ha ha....probably soon, still working on technique! Seriously though, we're looking at next fall sometime, just want to get moved in and settled, then we'll GIVER!
    MF

    ReplyDelete