Monday, August 16, 2010

Guest Blogger - Jennifer - bucket filling goes both ways :-)

So, I've just returned from a 4 day trip. This was my annual trip to my company's national convention. But this year was the best year of the past 6 I've attended and there are 2 reasons. #1 Our company--wowza! This is the 25th year in business, and they're stronger than ever. The trainings, the entertainment, the new info was beyond our wildest expectations. But my favorite reason for this trip was my bucket & I'm so glad I brought it.:) You see, when I started this business 7 years ago, I was a SAHM with a 9 month old daughter. I had only lived in this state for a year and since I didn't have a job, I didn't have any friends. I literally knew my daughter & my husband and a couple of the wives of Joel's coworkers. So, this business was a way for me to make connections with other moms around the country each day from the comfort of my home WHILE bringing in an income. My mentor, B, had a way of connecting people on her team. She had a way of making sure we knew we were not alone in this & she brought us together. In August of 2006, just weeks after I found out I had cancer, we all met in person--most of us for the first time--at our annual national convention. Just 6 months later, B unexpectedly passed away. And so our business family grew closer & stronger than ever before. Now, each year when we get together, we toast B for introducing us and creating our bond. We nurture that bond daily thru phone calls & skype messaging as we are scattered literally from coast to coast--Seattle to DC and TX to Canada. These girls are my sisters. When I am having a bad business day--no matter the time of day--I can get online and someone is there to talk to...but it's more than biz with these ladies. We share husband & child woes. And then we also share our dreams & aspirations. My favorite thing about these women is that they fill my bucket, everyday. And so we get to be together once a year at our annual national convention. For 4 days & 3 nights we hug & laugh & cry & dream & love & fill each other's buckets. Even if the workshops & the speakers were cut from the budget and we had nothing but time together, I wouldn't trade those 4 days for anything in the world. When I got off the plane last night I had a FULL bucket. For 4 days I was told by many that they believed in me, they were inspired by me, they loved & respected me...all the things any of us crave in our lives. And what I know the biggest challenge now will be is to keep that bucket close to my heart in the coming days when those feelings get ripped away by the reality of life & the nonbelievers surrounding me. It's hard to come home sometimes...but lucky for me I brought my bucket.

Thanks Jennifer, I could not have said it better myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment