Friday, June 03, 2011

Day 45 - Card is in the mail - Alice

 Today I celebrate my 42nd birthday :-) Life is Good!

I want to send a big thank you to Alice today, for as long as I can remember my entire family from my Grandma's on down to all my cousins - everyone knows Alice's Chocolate Cake partners with my Grandma's brown sugar icing. Alice's family and my parents ... partied together when I was a wee one. Their family farm was close to ours and my mom still to this day does coffee with Alice and Gardy. Hmmm I guess I better ask her who she got the recipe from one of these days.


For my Gluten Free friend you can just substitute gluten free flour ( Thanks Ann for testing it )
Also makes a really good Black Forest - just add cherries and whip cream


So today on my birthday I declare cake and cupcakes calorie free - enjoy the recipe.

Alice's Chocolate Cake

2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
2tsp. baking soda
2tsp baking powder
2/3 cup cocoa
2 2/3 flour
2 cups boiling water

Preheat oven 350 ( bakes for 1 hour in most locations - higher elevation 35-40 min )
In large mix together sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla for 4 min, add dry ingredients and then boiling water. Will make 9x13 + 6 cup cakes or a bundt cake, or 3 8inch round.

Elsie's Butterscotch Icing

1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 cups icing sugar

Boil butter and brown sugar over low heat for 2 min. Add milk. Continue to stir until mixture returns to boil. Cool until luke warm. Beat in icing sugar until spreading consistency. *** Make sure it is almost cold before spreading.

Change in me: Something as simple as a cake recipe can be the greatest gift families can share. I am grateful for being taught  to cook and have a passion for baking.

1 comment: