Tuesday, July 08, 2008

My friend Jennifer :-)

July 7, 2006, I was sitting in the doctor's office, having the stiches removed from the outpatient surgery I'd undergone the week before to remove a benign lump from my breast. When my doctor couldn't find the pathology report in the system, he made a quick call from the very room I was sitting in with him. Moments later he hung up the phone and said those dreaded and completely unexpected words...'You have breast cancer.' I was 30. I immediately had thoughts of my 3 year old and 18 month old girls waiting at home for me so we could finish packing for our summer trip to Missouri...we were heading out first thing the next morning.

Nothing was worse than having to call Joel over the phone to tell him why I would be later than expected getting home that morning. He heard the news over the phone...and our journey began.

It's been 2 years...2 more surgeries and lots of pain and agony later. It's time to take a stand and do something BOLD and that's why Aimee Reynolds and I are walking the 60 mile Breast Cancer 3 Day. We have been training. 3 times/week we work out with members of our 3Day team doing conditioning and various cardio exercises. We completed a 10 mile walk last month and are scheduled to take it up a notch to 12 miles this coming weekend. I honestly don't know how my feet are going to make it 60 miles! WOWEE!

But, as I recall the pain of my bilateral mastectomy I know that I can push thru that pain for such an amazing cause. And that brings me to my purpose for this letter--your help. We are committed to raising funds to walk. As individuals we have committed to $2200 each. We each already have nearly $1900! We each only need $300 more to walk, but this is about so much more than us walking. It's about the other women out there who hear those dreaded words 'You have breast cancer' and the family members who endure the pain of getting the news via the phone. Please help us make this journey a reality. We're so excited to be a part of something so amazing--we can make a huge difference! Thank you in advance for your generosity!Sincerely,Jennifer Wealer & Aimee Reynolds

P.S. Ask your employer if they will double your donation through a matching gift program and please forward this information to your friends and family. We appreciate all of your support!

Aimee’s website: http://08.the3day.org/site/TR/Walk/WashingtonDCEvent?px=1620543&pg=personal&fr_id=1192&s_tafId=6384

Jennifer’s website:http://08.the3day.org/site/TR/Walk/WashingtonDCEvent?px=1581539&pg=personal&fr_id=1192&s_tafId=14770

No comments:

Post a Comment