Wednesday, February 06, 2008

thinkin RED

I have been thinking about Valentines day. We don't do flowers or cards or presents, but this year I think I would like to go on a date with big "C". This year we have been together for 21 years........WOW ....we are getting older. With life as crazy as it has been - I think a date is in order..........and he is even going to be in the same state.

I have also been thinking alot about Heart Disease. Turn on any channel or open a paper and you will find everyone is talking about it. I think the media is doing a great job of making women aware of the #1 killer of women CVD or Cardiovascular Disease. My question is are women really listening? are they taking action or are they simply saying something is going to kill me.

Did you know that only 21% of women view heart disease as a health threat, even though it's the leading cause of death for women over the age of 25?
Here are some more facts to consider.


· Cardiovascular disease (CVD) kills over 460,000 women a year—that's about one woman per minute.
· One in three adult females and males in the United States suffers from one or more forms of CVD.
CVD claims more lives than the next four most common causes of death combined.
· 64% of women who died suddenly of coronary heart disease had no previous symptoms.
· One in 2.6 female deaths is from CVD, compared with one in 30 from breast cancer.
· Coronary heart disease rates in post-menopausal women are two to three times higher than in pre-menopausal women of the same age.
· Stroke is the #3 cause of death for American women, and is a leading cause of serious, long-term disability.
Stroke kills more women than men. In 2004, females represented 61% of stroke deaths.


I found these statistics on the Cambell's Soup Web Site, they are raising awareness in a campaign http://www.goredwithcampbells.com/ - if you visit and vote they will donate $1.

Yes, I must be approaching 40 and or it is a occupational hazzard of working in health and wellness - I know now I am not bullet proof and that I am not going to live for ever. I do however want to live a long healthy life - so I added more fruit and vegtables, added fiber ( drink it so I get enough), take good vitamins, drink lots of water, and exercise almost every day (even if I just walk). No, I did not give up wine or beer.....I am human :-)

I take a natural supplement for my cardiovascular system - I started taking it because it would help with circulation and help prevent varicous veins...I am a bit vain and like my legs with out lines. I am determined to never have to take a prescription drug - lets face it the side effects scare the hell out of me and they are expensive. So I lowered my cholesterol, no signs of veins, blood pressure is good and well my feet aren't cold.

How healthy is your HEART?

No comments:

Post a Comment